Saturday, May 24, 2008

Israel - Grandma's passion & Angela's blessing

Angela has been blessed with the opportunity to tour Israel with Grandma (Pat) Warren between the end of her CEGEP spring semester and the start of her summer job. Here are some of her e-mails to give you a flavor of what it was like:

Hi! Grandma and I are having a blast in Israel. Today, we visited Har Megiddo (we know it as Armagedon) (Har means mountain) in the valley of Yetzre'el valley (Jezreel valley mor Israel valley) We saw ruins from kings Solomon and Ahab. We have seen so many places that I have heard about all my life, it's quite amazing. Grandma keeps telling me I have to come back again. The first time, it's hard to keep everything straight since we are visiting five or six different sites every day! The heat about mid-day is stifling! Grandma and I are planing to go for a swim in the Mediterranean later. Today, we also visited Nazareth and saw the place where Joseph was believed to have lived and worked. Tomorrow, we go to the red sea (and Grandma has said we will have wine with supper for my birthday). I have already become the official photographer of the group and everyone asks me to take their picture. I can't wait to tell you all my stories and show you all the pictures I have taken (I must have taken at least 300 so far). TTFN from Israel, Angela

Dear Mom and Dad, I wish I had known ahead of time that you would be posting my e-mail on our blog, I would have written more coherently (and tried to avoid spelling mistakes). We had a wonderful day today. We visited the Via Dolorosa, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Old Jerusalem and Yad Vashem. We didn't have time to see all of Yad Vashem, the memorial to the Holocaust, so we are getting a special tour tomorrow (Grandma and I will be going before the rest of the group since our flight leaves earlier). Last night, we visited Jerusalem and saw everything all lit up, it was beautiful! Our guide was wonderful and did a great job at explaining everything. The tour really flew by! I will be glad to get home though and sleep and rest my weary feet! We have done lots of walking. Today, we spent at least two hours walking around Jerusalem. With a group this big, it takes a while to get places. We have met some wonderful people on this tour! Thank you for all the birthday wishes! I had quite a special birthday here. Nerida, an Australian woman on our tour, told the bus driver that it was my birthday so everyone sang to me then. Also, on top of Massada, our small group sang to me (they told me to film them then started singing!) and they gave me a card that everyone had signed. I don't know if I mentioned this but for the first three days of the tour, we were in a 12 passenger van with a group of nine people and we toured the north of Israel. On Monday, we met up with a larger group (32 people) and continued the tour. So when I talk about our small group, I mean the seven other people who were on the first part of the tour with us. On the evening of my birthday, Grandma and I had a glass of wine (turning 18 didn't change my taste for wine so I didn't finish it). We had tender beef and rice for supper. It was the best food so far! Today, we said good bye, Shalom, to the rest of the tour group and tomorrow, we will be back in Canada. Love you lots! TTFN, Angela

[To see a short slide show, click this link: http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/benjarick4486/?action=view&current=a0c5aa1f.pbw ]

No comments: